- You will need a special tool to copy the Installationfiles and making the USB-stick/SD card bootable - usb_multiboot_10.zip
- Unpack to any folder. THE PATH TO YOUR FOLDER MUST BE SIMPLE AND WITHOUT SPACES! (ex. c:\usb_multiboot_10)
- Insert USBstick / SD card.
- ALL DATA ON YOUR STICK WILL BE ERASED! Please back up before running USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd!
- Run USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd. follow text description.
- Format utility will apear. Choose NTFS for >=4Gb usb flash and FAT16 for other, Start format, Close after finishing.
- diamondsw: Using the “HP format” option works fine for any capacity, and you can use FAT32 without problems (I used a 4GB stick). This can be useful as more systems can read FAT32 than NTFS.
- NOTE: If you are doing this from a Vista machine, you may need to run PeToUSB.exe as adminstrator in order for this program to recognize the jump drive. (Right click PeToUSB.exe > Properties > Compatibility > “Run this program as an administrator” checked.)
- Set options 1 and 2. Set option 0 only if you want to use USB HDD instead of a USB stick/ SD card.
- Do not touch other options if you have no idea about it.
- Choose 3 after setting all other options. It will create the image and write it to the USB stick as well as making the USBstick / SD card bootable.
- Answer Yes to all questions that come up (these vary depending on options selected).
- When it finishes copying, remove your usb stick and insert it in the EeePC to install XP.
- When you turn on the Eee, hold down “Esc” to choose the boot device and select the USB stick/ SD card. You'll need to do this at each reboot until XP is fully installed and you've logged in.
- Choose Text installation at first time and GUI INSTALLATION AFTER REBOOT TWICE! - ( Choose step 1 to start installing, after reboot choose step two, after continued install press step 2 AGAIN to log into XP - As soon as you arrive at the Windows XP Desktop you can safely remove the USBStick / SD card.
- If you get hal.dll not found errors, read carefully the last two last bullets!